Monday 25 February 2013

Student Spotlight - Greg Lenne

Monday at OISE Oxford is always a very special day as this is when the new students arrive. At 7:55am they are huddled outside the entrance waiting for the doors to be opened at 8am sharp. They are then assessed on their written and spoken English and placed in their Quatorial groups (classes of 2-4 students max). Some stay for 1 week, while others stay for up to 1 year. 

When I first met Greg a week ago today it was clear that he had a very sporting physique, shoulders twice the size of mine and big arms dropping down by his side. I assumed he was a rugby player, but soon found out that his main hobby is French boxing, which he assured me was very different from any other type of boxing. I thought it would be interesting to do a mini student spotlight to hear more:



Q - Good morning Greg, thanks again for taking the time to speak with us today. Could I start by asking what is your occupation and why you need to improve your English? 

A - Well I am currently studying for a diploma at a special state school in France where we study and work. As part of my work, I do military service and I also help to teach other students. As part of the diploma, we must also reach a certain level of English, which is why I am here at OISE Oxford.

Q - I remember you told me the other day that one of your main hobbies is French boxing. When did you start?

A - Well, I started 3 years ago. It was just for a bit of fun back then, but now I am taking it more seriously and starting to compete.

Q - What is the difference between French boxing and traditional boxing?

A - There are many differences, the main difference being that the objective is not to hurt the opponent. That is to say that when we throw a punch or kick we must aim to only touch the opponent's body. If there is too much force used you get penalised.

Q - You mentioned that you can kick as well?

A - Yes, this is another difference. In this respect it is a bit like kick boxing, but again without the force. When the sport first started, no gloves were used and instead of using knuckles the fighters would use the palm of their hands, like slapping.

Q - Do you see yourself turning professional in the future?

A - If I continue to improve, yes! Last year I was injured, so let's see what happens next year.

We wish Greg the best of luck with this boxing career, and look forward to saying to our future students that a French boxing champion attended our school!

No comments:

Post a Comment